| || |
Ohio State will win the Big Ten Conference
November 15, 2013 - Andy Heintz
I always thought it would be fun to rank the teams in the Big Ten Conference, so it goes.
This list is where I think the teams deserve to be, not who has the better record. Feel free to drop me a line if you agree or disagree. I always like a good conversation.
12. Purdue 1-8, 0-5 No explaining here. Purdue plays the part of a bottom feeder. The Boilermakers are young, and are 1-8, which is the worst record in the league.
11. Illinois 3-6, 0-5 The Illini are going down fast. Losers of five straight, I don’t see much else that can be done to move them up from this spot other than beating Northwestern at the end of the year.
10. Northwestern 4-5, 0-5 Pat Fitzgerald is a great coach. I have always thought that. But this Wildcat team is snake bitten. They could have beaten Iowa and should knocked off Nebraska. Both games resulted in heartbreaking losses.
9. Penn State 5-4, 2-3 For those of you that want to see your team start a freshman quarterback, I give you a reason why you don’t. Hackenburg is not the only reason PSU has struggled. The scholarship limit and bowl ban certainly played a role.
8. Indiana 4-5, 2-3 I originally thought Penn State should be higher because they have one more win but Indiana beat the Nittany Lions at home by 20 points. That won’t win you any points Penn State.
7. Minnesota 8-2, 4-2 I am one who isn’t buying the Gophers just yet. They played nobody when they went 4-0 in the non-conference and have gotten blasted by two of the three teams that have winning records in the Big Ten. Still can’t figure out how they beat Nebraska but their two toughest games remain. Wait and see.
6. Michigan 6-3, 2-3 I am giving Michigan the benefit of the doubt here simply because they blasted the Gophers by nearly 30 points. Michigan appears to be heading the wrong direction. A win over Northwestern is a must at this point for Brady Hoke and his staff.
5. Iowa 6-4, 3-3 The Hawkeyes have beaten teams they should have beaten and lost to some pretty good teams. The four losses have come to teams with a combined three losses. I think Iowa can win out and go 8-4. They also could lose out and go 6-6. Either way, the only team that has a chance to jump them at this point is Michigan.
4. Nebraska 7-2, 4-1 I don’t believe in the Nebraska defense and the Cornhuskers are a hail marry away from being eliminated from the Legends Division title discussion. I am predicting the Spartans put them in their place this weekend and end that talk once and for all. A win over Michigan State would push them up the standings.
3. Wisconsin 7-2, 4-1 The Badgers are tough and physical and should probably be higher in the national rankings then they are. But I just don’t think they are better than the two teams ahead of them and I’m not sure there is anything that can make that happen at this point. Unless, the Spartans lose out. That might be it.
2. Michigan State 8-1, 5-0 The Spartans have the best defense in the Big Ten and one of the best in the country. That will take you a long ways in a league like this. If the QB plays at a high level every single game, I just don’t see them giving up enough points to lose.
1.Ohio State 9-0, 5-0 This is a no-brainer. Until someone beats the Buckeyes, they have to be No. 1. The offense is electric and the defense holds its own. Plus, Urban Meyer – like him or hate him – is probably the best coach in the league. I think Ohio State wins the Big Ten, plays in the Rose Bowl and complains because they got left out of the title game.
No comments posted for this article.
Post a Comment