GARWIN In this community of roughly 560 people was rocked Monday morning by a severe storm that flattened grain bins, ripped the roof off of the post office and caused the temporary evacuation of the residents because of a several gas leaks.
Joe Parks moved amid the sounds of chainsaws while he and his family members worked at his destroyed home at 1309 N. Longhorn Lane on Monday.
Parks said he and his wife and two children took cover around 4:30 a.m. When they heard the high winds.
T-R PHOTO BY ABIGAIL PELZER
The home of Joe Parks, 1309 N. Longhorn Lane in Garwin, was destroyed in Monday morning’s storm.
"We didn't even hear the roof go off," Parks said. "We didn't know what to expect until we started looking around."
Garwin Fire Chief Tim Laffoon said several gas leaks caused an early morning evacuation of the town, but by late morning residents were able to return to their homes. However, gas and power were not expected to be back online for possibly a few days, he said.
The fire department was executing door to door searches for people that may have been trapped in their homes. No injuries had been reported at press time.
In the downtown area a row of grain bins had been ripped and thrown by the severe wind, the town's community center was hit by a fallen tree and the roof had been torn off of the American Legion and Post Office building.
The American Red Cross was on scene by early morning to offer water and breakfast foods. By the afternoon they had established a community shelter at the social center of the St. Boniface Catholic Church.
Ann and Matt Jackson were picking up their farmstead after part of their roof was torn from their home, a barn damaged and a grain bin was ripped from their property and smashed into a power line across the street.
Ann Jackson said she was grateful her three kids were spending the night with their grandmother. She and her husband took shelter in the early morning hours.