Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Smoke scent triggers investigation

April 28, 2012
By ABIGAIL PELZER - Managing Editor (apelzer@timesrepublican.com) , Times-Republican

A smoke scent caused an extensive search of several Main Street businesses on Friday morning.

The Marshalltown Fire Department responded to the call at the Main Street Antique Mall, 105 W. Main St. at 11:30 a.m.

Firefighters discovered smoldering wire and building members in the basement area, under the sidewalk in the Antique Mall. The wiring was an extension cord that was connected to heat tapes wrapped in insulation around a water pipe, according to the MFD.

Article Photos

T-R PHOTO BY ANDREW POTTER
The Marshalltown Fire Department responded to a call at 105 W. Main St. Friday morning. A smoldering extension cord caused an extensive search at the Main Street Antique Mall, and surrounding businesses, where a report of smoke smell was reported.

When firefighters arrived, no smoke was visible and an extensive search was performed at the Antique Mall, The Purple Cherry, McGregor's Furniture and Mike's Bikes. A portion of Main Street was blocked during the investigation.

Approximately $500 in damage to the interior of the building was caused in accessing the area. There were no injuries reported.

"This should be a safety reminder that extension cords are never a good choice for permanent wiring, and heat tapes are meant for temporary, emergency use only," said Marshalltown Fire Chief Steve Edwards.

 
 

 

I am looking for: