Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Contact Us | Home RSS
 
 
 

Haverhill fire displaces five

House sustains smoke, water damage

November 26, 2013
By MIKE DONAHEY - Staff Reporter (mdonahey@timesrepublican.com) , Times-Republican

HAVERHILL - An attic fire at a Haverhill home Monday morning displaced five people and resulted in smoke and water damage to the structure.

No injuries were reported.

At 7:18 a.m., the Haverhill Volunteer Fire Department received notification of a fire at 204 First St.

Article Photos

T-R PHOTO BY MIKE DONAHEY
An attic fire broke out early Monday morning at this Haverhill home, 204 First St. Volunteers from the Haverhill Fire Department responded, extinguished the fire and were on scene for two hours.

Firefighters responded and upon arrival, saw smoke coming from the attic.

Crews made their way through the home, extinguished the fire in the attic and remained on the scene for two hours.

"Smoke was extremely heavy at the scene," said Dick Stalzer, Haverhill Fire Chief.

The cause of the fire was determined to be electrical wiring although the investigation remains open, Stalzer said.

"I'm glad we were able to arrive quickly and put out the fire," Stalzer said. "Had it spread, it would have endangered neighboring properties."

Three members of the household are receiving housing assistance from the American Red Cross. Two members of the household declined assistance.

The structure has an assessed value of $40,620 and is owned by Lori L. Schreckenbach, according to records from the Marshall County Assessor's office.

 
 

 

I am looking for: